Our great city of KC has a myriad of opportunities for spending time outside enjoying God’s beautiful creation. This is a round-up of just a few favorite locations for family fun. Many of these businesses have special events based on the season of the year. I hope you will find a chance to explore and learn.
- Kansas City Zoo We have a beautiful zoo!! Since my kids were old enough to sit in a stroller we have enjoyed many trips. There have been many improvements in the last few years and also some new exhibits, such as the Penguin Plaza and Stingray Bay. You can easily spend an entire day here. One helpful hint…..ride the tram to and from Africa!!
- Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead – Visit more than 250 animals, watch a blacksmith, go fishing, ride a horse-drawn wagon, visit a one-room schoolhouse, and so much more. Step back in time while walking down main street. Enjoy fishing in the pond and feeding the petting zoo animals. We have been here as a family and on field trips.
- Burr Oak Woods Nature Center – The first nature center built in Missouri. Includes interactive indoor exhibits and animals. Outside enjoy paved and unpaved trails through the prairies and woodlands. We visit here at least once a year.
- Powell Gardens – This is Kansas City’s premiere botanical garden!! Includes seven themed gardens featuring fountains, trails, gardens, chapel, visitor center, and more. We haven’t visited here since my children were very little, so it’s on our summer bucket list. Each summer they have a kid-friendly display.
- Missouri Town 1855 – A 30 acre progressive farming community reminiscent of the mid-1800s. Contains 25 period buildings, authentic crops and gardens and livestock. A professional living history interpreter will lead you on a tour in period costume. We visited the grounds, but did not take the guided tour.
- Kansas City Royals Game – Come and cheer on our boys in blue!!
- Sporting Kansas City Game – “I believe that we will WIN!!!” – Join in the famous chant to victory. My husband and son were able to attend a game this past season and loved it. It’s fast-paced and spirit-packed.
- Ernie Miller Park and Nature Center – This is a 116 acre park with over 3 miles of trails. They offer fun and educational programs for all ages. The indoor science center has interactive exhibits, including live animal exhibits. Consists of a diverse range of habitats
- Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop – An 1860s working farm with livestock. Engage in activities that were part of daily life during this time period. Only working stagecoach stop left on the Sante Fe Trail. Rides in a reproduction stagecoach are available.
- Paradise Park – The “premier” family fun destination provides a place for safe and clean fun. It has a family feel, and something for all ages. Includes childrens edutainment center, gokarts, batting cages, mini-golf, laser tag, escape room, foam factory, arcade, and more. Disclosure : I am employed there as an educational field trip leader during the school year. I love my job!
Have you been to or live in Kansas City? What are your favorites that might not be on this list?